Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Doing What I'd Rather Not

Mark Twain once said, "The only way to keep your health is to eat what you don't want, drink what you don't like, and do what you'd rather not."   I think the key word in this quote is “you” or in the first person “I/me.”  

What I crave is not what I need to survive. What I feel driven to eat, of my own free will, actually slows down my life forces and leads me to state of comfortableness.  In fact, even I am shocked that I am still alive to tell my story. 

I will choose a pint of blackberry ice cream over a bowl of blackberries in a minute.    My natural wants are polar opposite to what is good for my health.   I can go days without craving water, but will break out in a sweat before noon if I don’t have an ice cold diet coke or a sweet tea. 

I am mesmerized by the candy rack at the check-out counter, the frozen dessert section and the pastry counter, but can walk by the produce section without skipping a beat.   

How I have allowed my appetite and eating habits to become so toxic?  At what point does the madness stop?

Thankfully, tomorrow is a new day and for the next 24 hours, I am committing my eating to Him.   

By His grace may I only desire healthy foods.



2 comments:

  1. I wish you all the luck in the world girl. Sugar is a hard, hard thing to kick. Mostly because it's so delicious. I have an ongoing battle with baked goods, myself. What I have learned over the years is not to think of it like a diet, but an exploration. There are delicious things all over the place that are also healthy, but most of the time, we just don't know what they are. I just had a grilled pineapple the other day that had been soaked in rum. I had no idea that existed, and it was amazing. Have fun with the discoveries. Learn new tricks and treat it like a big game. Learn to cook, even if it's a disaster at first. It may take a while, but doing the research will give you the tools you'll need to get ahead of the addiction. Good luck to you, you can do it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for your encouragement! It really helps and I am going to make some grilled pineapple this week!

    ReplyDelete