Sunday, April 10, 2016

How My Plant Based Lifestyle Helped My Autoimmune Disease

Photo from grumpylittles via Google
Friday, April 8 marked the end of my fourth month on my new plant based/gluten-free lifestyle and I am down 53 pounds!  My body is loving its new fuel source and with each passing month it rewards me with reduced pain levels.  
While for the most part this is a plant based on the road to health blog, during this entry, I want to also take time to address the devastating effects that autoimmune diseases have one its "captives."
Anyone who has an autoimmune disease or who has a loved one that suffers from one knows first hand how debilitating autoimmune diseases can be! One of the enigmas with autoimmune diseases is that for the most part you "look healthy" which is polar opposite to what you feel on the inside.  


During a flare, the inside of my "non-sick looking autoimmune diseased body" feels like it has been ran over by an 18 wheeler!  And prior to going vegan and finding out what foods my body is allergic too (gluten) - everyday was a flare! Almost daily I would cry from the pain caused by the psoriatic arthritis (PsA). And I still struggle with basic everyday tasks! Sometimes, something as simple as washing my hair in the shower can leave me feeling exhausted and in pain.  
At times, the effects of PsA has left me feeling alone and isolated because I was afraid to show the true depth of my pain. And I am not alone in these feeling, many individuals suffering from autoimmune diseases have to fake it through the day and special occasions!

Most choose to "fake it" because it can be very scary to leave oneself vulnerable to others judgments.As stated earlier, I am currently blessed because my body has responded to my diet change and my psoriatic arthritis symptoms have began to improve...but I also want to say that not everyone suffering from an autoimmune disease has the same allergies or even has the health and strength to prepare a special plant based diet. 

If an individual with an autoimmune disease makes the decision to go plant based, it is critical for them to work closely with a qualified healthcare professional to choose the best plant based nutritional course for their disease.  Dr. McDougall offers some great council and has great success treating autoimmune diseases.  Plus, they will most certainly need support from their friends and family - for example it might be hard for them to even go grocery shopping or do meal preparation. 

My goal in sharing my autoimmune disease struggles is not an attempt to garner sympathy.  It is to simply help individuals who are blessed enough to not suffer form an autoimmune disease gain a deeper understanding into just how overwhelming it is to suffer from one. 
Overall, what I would like to impart to anyone who is closely connected to someone who has an autoimmune disease is to please remember be patient, gentle, kind and most of all long suffering!   It is a painful path for them to walk and they truly need your unconditional love and support! 

Okay, now I am off my soap box and onto the stove! ;)
Lately I have been receiving requests from followers to include more recipes with my blogs.  So, this evening I made one of my favorite soups with a new twist.
Recipe:
5 - 6 medium Yukon gold potatoes - peeled and cubed
1-2 bunches of green onions - coarsely chopped 
4 cups of warm water
4 generous tsp of veggie chicken seasoning (Vegan McKay's Chicken Seasoning)
2 cups of fresh Asparagus - coarsely diced
2 to 3 cups of soy milk
celery seed to taste
salt and pepper to taste
• Add the McKay’s vegan chicken seasoning and stir until dissolved
• Cook potatoes until they are almost fork tender
• Add diced Asparagus
• Cook until the Asparagus and Potatoes are tender.
• Add favorite plant based milk (I use plain unsweetened soy)
• Let soup cool and then blend ¾ of the soup until creamy
• Add blended soup back to pan
• Add salt, pepper and celery seed to taste
• Return to a heat and bring to a simmer
• Garnish with a light sprinkling of celery seed and serve with your favorite vegan bread or crackers (I serve with Schar's corn crisp-breads).

Wishing you prosperity in your journey!





No comments:

Post a Comment