Friday, April 8, 2016

Past guilty pleasures and a lifetime of weight gain

Prior to going vegan and starting a healthier plant based lifestyle, I could not remember a time when sugar was not my drug of choice, especially ice cream.  It’s frozen creamy goodness would envelope me in a warm blanket of self-denial.  One spoonful transported me to a place of numbness, one that even the roughest tempest couldn't penetrate.

In the past I tried many times to "get clean," only to succeed for a few weeks, or, if lucky, a few months. Despite my best efforts, it would only be a matter of time before I would be wheeling a grocery cart down the well-lit aisles of the freezer section, peering through the frosted glass, in search of the perfect blend of frozen flavors - all the while hoping no one I knew saw me.

During one distant shopping trip, I found the coast was clear and I slowed to a stop in front of the premium "high fat" ice cream section.  I began narrowing down my choices.  Should I get my old friend "Cherry Garcia" or try a fling with the new”super-premium Greek Frozen Yogurt?" I ended up skipping both of the first options and was drawn to a larger carton of the new chocolate Oreo cookie variety.  As I reached for it, I was already envisioning myself devouring it.

After I grabbed the one quart chocolate Oreo variety, for good measure, I threw a pint of limited edition blackberry cobbler into my cart and quickly guided my basket to the check-out counter. My palms were still cold from the ice cream and I had already began to feel the guilt start to creep in. I knew within a day or two of my purchase, all of the ice cream would be polished off and I would be left feeling sick and wanting more.

By the next day after my purchase, the pint of ice cream was consumed and the larger carton was waiting in the wings - that was when I believe God sent a friend to help answer my pleas for deliverance.

It was late that same night (a few years back) after having finished eating the pint of blackberry cobbler ice cream that I was chatting with a close friend on the phone. During this phone call, he asked me if I was still sugar/junk food free.  Confession time.  I admitted I was eating sugar again and had actually meant to tell him about "falling off the wagon." We chatted for a while about my struggles with sugar and junk foods, then he suggested I start researching and writing a weight-loss book.  His logic being that the research for the book would help me find the path to success and at the same time help others who are struggling with the same issue. 

This was not the first time in my life that someone had encouraged me to write.  My therapist had also encouraged me to write, but I at that time, I had yet to fully embrace writing because I always doubted my writing abilities, however, as my friend encouraged me something inside me changed. The more I mulled over his writing idea, the more I came to believe that it might actually work and thus the blog and my hopes for writing a book in the future began.

While it took several years for me to become fully engaged and committed to a healthier vegan lifestyle, I have finally wholeheartedly embraced veganism and each day I find it more and more rewarding! 


Thankfully I can now say that since December 8, 2015 I have been completely vegan and have also gone gluten free due to allergies.  So no more non vegan frozen treats for me! 

And regarding my love of ice cream, I have recently purchased a good blender and have learned how to make my own vegan ice cream using frozen ripe bananas, blended with a few of my favorite berries and a splash of 100% juice or soy milk - nom, nom!


Wishing you prosperity in your journey!


Sharon

No comments:

Post a Comment